Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Mercy

I have recently been studying Revelations in the Bible. You know, the one in the back of the book? The one where some of us just want to skip over because it can be quite scary? That one. I don't know why but I have always loved reading that book. It is scary. No joke. But it is also exciting and encouraging that one day every tear of ours will be wiped from our eyes. We will see our Maker and his Kingdom and reign with Him. But until then... It can be quite scary to read that book and know that we have loved ones, friends and even co-workers that don't know Him on a personal level.

While I have been reading it today, one thing spoke volumes to me. Don't you love that? When God just plainly and clearly speaks right from His Word into your heart? This morning when I was reading in Revelations about the judgements and it got to the fifth trumpet to sound, that's when it hit me.  When you read this judgement the locusts that come have the power to sting like scorpions but they do not kill. I was thinking why not? Then I read the study aid in my Bible about this certain thing. I didn't think like God did. He was giving them one more chance to repent and call on Him instead of living in their own ways. This mercy He shows gives them yet another opportunity to turn to Him instead of away from Him.

The word Mercy. What does that mean?

The dictionary says Mercy is

"Compassion or forgiveness shown toward someone whom it is within one's power to punish or harm"

Wow! Within one's power to punish or harm and yet, they show compassion or forgiveness. We often hear this and know that God gives mercy but do we ever realize that we see this everyday? If you are awake and breathing, He's given you mercy to choose Him today. If you haven't chosen to follow Him yet, He's had mercy by given you another chance. 

As Christians we often refer to Lamentations 3:22 and 23 "It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness."

It is within God's power to punish us and harm us as the definition says but He chooses to show mercy on us. Every day we get up is a gift. Every day we can choose to live His ways and for Him, He is showing us His mercy. Here are some scriptures I found about His mercy that hopefully will uplift you today:

"For the Lord if good; His mercy is everlasting and his truth endureth to all generations." Psalm 100:5

"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)" Ephesians 2:4-5

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:16

There are so many more that talk about God's mercy. I don't know about you but I am thankful that God's mercies are new everyday. I'm thankful that though I may fail and fall, He's there to pick me up and dust me back off. God has so abundantly blessed us with new mercy each day and we should remember to turn to Him and not our selves. 

Thank you God for your mercy and grace. Thank you that each day we live is a gift and may we never forget that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!